Thursday, December 07, 2006

Vote for Your Top 10 Scottish Singles of All Time!

http://www.jocknroll.co.uk/index_files/HowToVote.htm

Go on, you know you want to. Here are my entries (only one appearance by Orange Juice because you're only allowed one single by each artist).

1. Orange Juice - Simply Thrilled Honey
The most perfect pop song ever. Really, this could be any one of their songs. I discovered Orange Juice at a pivotal time in my life, and have been one of my favourite bands ever since. Just magical.

2. Josef K - Sorry For Laughing
Pretty much invented Franz Ferdinand, only Paul Haig's crew were always loads better. Witty, dapper, wracked with existential angst but fun and sexy too. Men of faultless integrity too - made sure they split up before they sold out.

3. The Fire Engines - Get Up And Use Me
Still one of the best live gigs I ever saw was the Fire Engines. Their music doesn't make sense but, when it's this exciting, it really doesn't need to. 4. The Associates - White Car In Germany This still sounds like it comes from another planet. What an amazing voice Billy Mckenzie had, and what a tragedy his early death was. God bless.

5. The Pastels - I'm Alright With You
The Pastels might just have made their finest music before they really figured out how to play their instruments. This is perfect pop, and I love the B-sides also.

6. Belle and Sebastian - Dog On Wheels
The Belles represent an indie ideal long since forgotten by pretty much everyone else. Orange Juice's natural successors - and that's not something I say lightly.

7. The Skids - Into The Valley
I remember my dad playing this song when I was a kid and dancing around the room. Still makes me dance like a 10 year old.

8. Aztec Camera - Just Like Gold
The first blosoming of Roddy Frame's talent, raw and untouched by the dodgy production that would ruin some of his later albums. And the B-side is the ultimate version of 'We Could Send Letters'.

9. The Cocteau Twins - Pearly Dew Drops
More alien music - how could Liz Fraser possibly be human? She sounds like an angel in the raptures of ecstasy. And sooooo sexy.

10. The Jesus and Mary Chain - Upside Down
They really peaked early, didn't they? Still, what a fantastic piece of dead-eyed, drugged up arrogance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home